Tuesday, December 16, 2014

"Music Inspiration: Joni Mitchell"








I have always thought of Joni Mitchell as a source of inspiration for everything from her effortless style, iconic beauty, and of course her talent as a gifted musician. She is mind-blowingly inspirational to me, and her 1971 album, Blue, is a personal favorite of mine, something I've been listening to quite a bit during this holiday season. 

-Polaroid of Joni Mitchell by Andy Warhol. She signed "Startled to see you."

The song "River" off of her album, Blue, is particularly special to me at this time of year. The lyrics demonstrate a feeling of sadness as Christmastime approaches, a time for loved ones. After a heartbreak or loss of any kind, this can be a sensitive time of year to cope with pain and sadness as it seems everything revolves around the theme of love, family, and togetherness.

"It's coming on Christmas 
They're cutting down trees 
They're putting up reindeer 
And singing songs of joy and peace 
Oh I wish I had a river I could skate away on "



The pressure surrounding the holidays can create a feeling of loneliness that is captured in the tenderness of this song. 

As an alternative to the traditional Christmas music that I personally have never been a fan of, I will be listening to classics such as Blue and other albums that resonate with me during the holiday season.

Comment below with your own personal soundtrack to the season. What songs feel like Christmas to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment